IRC Server Now Running

For the discussion of application-level deployments or implementations of BBHN (IRC, VoIP, Asterisk, FTP, SMTP, etc.).
K5ICR
Site Admin

IRC Server Now Running

Post by K5ICR » Wed Feb 18, 2015 2:23 pm

We now have an IRC server on the mesh network. It is running on a Raspberry Pi at Gerald's (WB5NZV) house.

To access the server, you will need to install an IRC client on your computer. There are several free and paid options available. I personally recommend mIRC (http://www.mirc.com, $20 after a 30 day evaluation period) for Windows and X-Chat Azure for Mac (free, available on the Mac App Store here: https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/xchat-a ... 1961?mt=12).

To access the server, the easiest method is to open a web browser and pull up your node's status page (http://localnode:8080), then click on Mesh Status to bring up the list of connected and remote nodes. Look for K5ICR-raspi as a sub-item of WB5NZV-Home-OMNI and click the link to the right of it, as indicated in the image below:
IRC_link.png
Mesh node status with IRC link
IRC_link.png (242.18 KiB) Viewed 1907 times
Here's an example of how to configure the basic settings on mIRC:
mirc_sc.png
mIRC Basic Setup Screenshot
mirc_sc.png (179.13 KiB) Viewed 1907 times
Please set your nickname to be your callsign. This will identify you over the air as well.

The default channel to join is #BBHN.

K5ICR
Site Admin

Re: IRC Server Now Running

Post by K5ICR » Tue Mar 03, 2015 12:54 am

As an update, we now have the ability to access the IRC server from the general Internet. Gerald (WB5NZV) has graciously agreed to host the IRC server and allow us to access it from outside the mesh network.

The public address for the IRC server is: irc.dentonbbhn.net:6667

There is a password required to connect. This is necessary to ensure a reasonable level of authentication that users are licensed amateurs. The credentials are listed in the "Protected/Confidential Information" forum, in this thread: viewtopic.php?f=13&t=38

If you want access to that forum, please read and follow the instructions I provided in the announcement regarding that forum (viewtopic.php?f=11&t=37).

KD7CAO
Site Admin

Post by KD7CAO » Mon Mar 16, 2015 5:53 pm

I am unable to login with any other utility. Since this is a work computer I need to find an open source or freeware client that is compatible. The only time clicking on the link has worked is with mIRC. I've tried Pidgin, several chrome plugins, and now HEXChat with no luck. Could you provide complete server settings instead of just a couple screenshots? What is the username supposed to be as well? Most clients are requiring that field.
Eric M. Gildersleeve KD7CAO
Krugerville, TX

K5ICR
Site Admin

Post by K5ICR » Wed Mar 25, 2015 6:55 am

Eric,

The way usernames are handled on IRC servers is a bit different from what you're likely used to. If you delve into the documentation for various IRC daemons, you'll likely see reference to something like nick!user@host. The username field was historically set by the user or grabbed automatically from the user's Unix username (back in the days of console only environments), and an ident daemon queried that value upon connection to the IRC server.

For our purposes, the username field isn't terribly important, as the IRC server is not also running an ident daemon and is not set to check against that value. I would recommend just setting the username field to be your callsign.

As far as connection settings go, it depends on whether you are connecting from inside or outside the mesh.

From inside the mesh:
  • Server hostname: k5icr-raspi
  • Port: 6667
  • Password: <provided in the link on the mesh>
From outside the mesh:
  • Server hostname: irc.dentonbbhn.net
  • Port: 6667
  • Password: <same as above OR see the protected/confidential information forum>
With respect to any other values your client is looking for, using your callsign should usually be sufficient.

Let me know if you need any more information or clarification.

kc5cw
Verified Amateur

Post by kc5cw » Mon Mar 30, 2015 9:54 am

I use Adium on my Mac. It's free and lets me connect to multiple IRC servers (we use IRC at work), my Yahoo IM account, Facebook, Google, and many others are supported.

http://adium.im

To setup irc:
Click on Adium in the title bar at the top of the screen after it is running
Click on Preferences
Click the + in the lower left
Click IRC (Internet Relay Chat)
Nickname is your callsign
Hostname is listed above depending on if you are accessing via BBHN or the Internet
Password is <go to the super secret posting to get that>
click ok, it will connect. If it does, you'll then get:
(notice) Your nickname is not registered. To register it, use: /msg NickServ REGISTER password
Wait about a minute, then type this:
/msg NickServ REGISTER <the super secret password goes here>
when you hit enter, you won't see anything on the screen. If you were impatient, you'll see this:
(notice) You must have been using this nick for at least 30 seconds to register.
Once you wait long enough, you'll see this, like I did:
(notice) Nickname kc5cw registered under your user@host-mask: Adium@*.rich.corp.yahoo.com
but your hostname will be from your home or work.
now you can enter the chat room by typing: /join #bbhn
Now you'll have a new tab open up in Adium that you can see who all is in the room and chat with them. I also right click on the tab and click Add Bookmark so I can just double click it in my list of contacts and it will automatically pull up the tab into the chat room for me in the future.