Curious about the Rosston setup

Topics related to D-STAR (Digital Smart Technology for Amateur Radio) should go here.
n5wd

Curious about the Rosston setup

Post by n5wd » Mon Jul 20, 2015 11:27 am

From my house ( west of Ponder in the Denton Creek valley), while I can not hit the W5NGU D-Star repeaters on my HT, I can hit both the Rosston B & C packages. I notice, though, that (a) they don't seem to be doing anything but the basic repeater function (i.e. No Information, no echo, and no Gateway service) and (b) they don't seem to ever be used by anyone (maybe a function of the condition noted in A).

Are there any plans to upgrade Rosston to a fully functioning system/Gateway in the future?

K5ICR
Site Admin

Re: Curious about the Rosston setup

Post by K5ICR » Mon Jul 20, 2015 9:10 pm

Rosston (KE5YAP) is an interesting setup. The gateway controller, computer, and RF modules are in a climate controlled enclosure on a platform at 1500 ft. This poses unique challenges to the club with respect to access, finding work crews, and hardening the equipment from the harsh environment (constant vibrations, wind, temperature extremes, etc.).

You are correct in your observations that the repeater is operating with minimal functionality. The gateway computer has suffered an unknown failure. It could be as simple as something on the power side failing. We are also working on replacing batteries to the UPS (uninterruptible power supply), as it had a failure about a month ago. Getting these problems resolved is near the top of the to-do list.

Once we get the gateway back online, the B (440 MHz) and A (1.2 GHz) modules will have full Internet functionality restored.

As an interesting side note, on both the KE5YAP (Rosston) and W5NGU (Denton - County EOC) DSTAR stacks, we have disabled linking on the C (VHF) modules. They are not on coordinated pairs currently, and we have a gentleman's agreement with the VHF FM Society to run them on the current frequencies locally only.

n5wd

Post by n5wd » Sun Jul 26, 2015 2:08 pm

Ah! Thanks for the update. Though I don't climb, I'd be more than happy to help with anything else.

K5ICR
Site Admin

Post by K5ICR » Wed Oct 14, 2015 2:14 am

The Rosston DSTAR stack is back online. :)