Fusion vs DStar

Topics regarding Yaesu System Fusion (aka Fusion) should go here.
Bidgette

Fusion vs DStar

Post by Bidgette » Wed Jun 24, 2015 5:16 pm

I just bought a Yaesu FTM400DR, and I'm a little confused as to what the difference is between Fusion and DStar...ie, advantages of one over the other. I'm kind of unclear as to what it's use is anyway! I know we have both a fusion and dstar repeater, but that's about it.

Dan tries to explain, but, I do better if I read it. can anyone direct me to a site that would lay it out for a rookie?

Thanx

Cheryl

K5BGT

:?

KD7CAO
Site Admin

Re: Fusion vs DStar

Post by KD7CAO » Tue Jun 30, 2015 1:31 pm

Cheryl,

The D*STAR project was our first true all-digital voice and data communication system that the DCARA supported. It was made possible thanks to two donations from a member that wished to remain anonymous. We don't see him often anymore as he is busy with his business but he purchased both the W5NGU and KE5YAP D*STAR stacks that the club enjoys. In addition, accessories such as amplifiers, duplexers, power supplies, computers, and other items were purchased through a series of grants and/or member donations. The benefits to the D*STAR system is the fact it allows networking of multiple systems together to share both data and voice communications.

D*STAR is officially only an Icom product at this time for repeaters and radios. However, in recent years we have started to see an influx of other brands that are adopting the protocols. Like Fusion it uses an AMBE Codec chip that is also used in some of the popular public safety and land mobile radio systems. This chip is fairly expensive, but the protocol needed was developed by Icom Japan, and they have been selling it at a steep cost therefore companies such as Kenwood, Yaesu, Alinco, and the Chinese manufacturers have not been adopting it.

Next we are starting to see Fusion coming into the marketplace this is based off the same Codec as D*STAR just in a different flavor and actually a different transmission mode. The two are not directly interoperable, but offer some neat advantages over the D*STAR. First, from what I have heard a Fusion radio is far easier to program than a D*STAR radio if doing it from scratch. The D*STAR radio now has the ability to download data straight from the Internet. In addition Fusion has the image upload feature on supported radios.

I believe in the near future we will see radios capable of both D*STAR and Fusion. One such radio that has been discussed much has been the Connect Systems CS7000 radio. It is still in development and is nearly six months behind schedule, as a UHF only radio it is supposed to be supporting FM, D*STAR, Fusion, P25, and possibly DMR, TURBO modes as well. The price has been suggested to be a low $250.00 and is a 100% designed in the USA radio.

If you are asking which one to go with, then I would suggest thinking hard about which brands and features you are most interested in. Personally, I do not care for Yaesu radios, I find them non intuitive and difficult to operate. Whereas I find the D*STAR radios by Icom being very straightforward and easy to understand. Although, I must say I really like the display on the FTM400DR that color screen is sweet!
Eric M. Gildersleeve KD7CAO
Krugerville, TX

Bidgette

Post by Bidgette » Fri Jul 03, 2015 8:32 am

Thanx, Eric!

I have already purchased the Yaesu, and I do really like it. The touch screen is easy for me to use and the display screen is easy for me to read. Dan has a kenwood, and the text is so small that from the distance you have to operate at on a mobile unit, it is impractical for this old blind woman to use!

Field day was awesome, btw!

Cheryl

K5ICR
Site Admin

Post by K5ICR » Thu Jul 23, 2015 5:52 am

HamRadioNow did a show on DV modes not all that long ago. The guys he recorded in North Carolina do a pretty nice job of explaining things without too much opinion, rumor, or other noise.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EqixJbalqLk