Simple mobile aprs ideas?

Discussion of APRS-related topics should go here.
KG5BZJ

Simple mobile aprs ideas?

Post by KG5BZJ » Thu Oct 08, 2015 11:07 pm

Ive been reading some on the mobile aprs units on the market. I currently run it on my phone via aprsdroid but Im curious what, if any, devices would be good for a compact beacon only setup? I drive a small single cab pickup and space is at a premium. Is there a way to setup a system that I can stick under the dash or under the hood?

AF5RZ

Re: Simple mobile aprs ideas?

Post by AF5RZ » Fri Oct 30, 2015 5:50 pm

I just picked up a FT1DR and just now sorting out how to setup APRS on it. I think I've got it, but just need to go outside where I can only /hope/ to reach a repeater. Not sure if there's a map of APRS digipeaters anywhere or not...

Anyway, seems to be a nice little HT and once I figure it out I can also use it on the new Fusion machine. 8-)

/KU5R
---
AF5RZ
Opinions are my own.

n5azo

Re: Simple mobile aprs ideas?

Post by n5azo » Sat Oct 31, 2015 2:48 pm

Have you looked up http://www.byonics.com/tinytrak/ ?

Looks like a good setup to me. I have used APRS quite a bit in the last few months traveling around and the only real problem I see with it are large gaps in receiver coverage along those desolate stretches of I-10 with 100 foot tall pine trees between Lafayette, La. and around Live Oak, Fl. If you aren't familiar with www.aprs.fi you might check it out.