New Users and Anti-Spam Settings

The "catch-all" forum for BBHN topics. If a specific forum doesn't exist, post here.
K5ICR
Site Admin

New Users and Anti-Spam Settings

Post by K5ICR » Wed Mar 25, 2015 7:10 am

First, let me say welcome to the DCARA Forums!

Within a week of Mike Carline installing the PHPbb software, spam bots had already found and gotten to work on the forums, so I had to implement several anti-spam settings, as follows:
  • When you register, you will need to provide a valid email address so that the forums can send you an automated message which will contain a verification link to activate your account.
  • Once you've verified your account, you will need to make at least one post to the forums to be automatically removed from the "Newly Registered Users" group and gain access to private messaging and other features.
  • Your first post to the forums will require moderator approval before it will be visible (and before the system will remove you from the "Newly Registered Users" group)
I created a new forum entitled "Meet & Greet" that would be an excellent place to make your first post if you don't see any particular topics you wish to contribute to in the other forums.

I apologize for the inconvenience but experience has shown me that these steps are necessary to combat spam bots.